Website of the Month
- Kids (6-11 yrs) Offering science-based advice, MyPlate Kids' Place can help kids build healthy meals and to maintain or achieve a healthy weight.
- Parents and teachers are invited to use the MyPlate Kids' Place Resources for Parents and Educators for “teachable moments” that will influence children’s choices at home and at school. It is a great resource for kids, parents, and teachers. Resources include games, activity sheets, kid-friendly recipes, and physical activity tips.
- Kids can also pledge to become MyPlate Champions.
- Preschoolers (2-5 yrs) Parents and caregivers of children 2-5 years old can explore ways to help preschoolers grow up healthy, play actively every day, develop healthy eating habits, try new foods, and more. A great resource for parents and teachers, including customizable growth charts and food group information, tips for picky eaters and food safety for preschoolers.
- Being physically active helps your preschooler learn healthy habits. Preschoolers who participate in active play can get the physical activity they need to maintain a healthy weight, develop muscles and strong bones, and reduce their risk of developing a chronic disease such as Type 2 diabetes.
Curriculum: Serving Up MyPlate
What are healthy food choices? What is a balanced diet? Serving Up MyPlate is a new collection of classroom materials developed by the USDA's Team Nutrition that helps elementary school teachers integrate nutrition education into Math, Science, English Language Arts, and Health. View and print the teacher's guides, or order them for free today.
- Level 1 Teacher's Guide (Grades 1 & 2)
- Level 2 Teacher's Guide (Grades 3 & 4)
- Level 3 Teacher's Guide (Grades 5 & 6)
Healthy Ladies Review
Audience: Children, Students, Adults, Families, and Professionals
This website is packed with information but sometimes it is hard to figure out where to find something. It is broken down by audience type: children, students, adults, families, and professionals. They have information about my plate, physical activity and portion sizes for all age groups. We have provided some shortcuts to favorites that we use. I enjoyed the online quizzes about the five food groups!
- MyPlate, MyWins is all about finding a healthy eating style that works for your family and fits with your everyday life.
- The MyPlate icon is a reminder to make healthy choices from each of the five food groups, and there are many small changes you can make that add up to big success over time.
- Being physically active can improve your health — today, tomorrow, and in the future. However, most people do not do enough physical activity. People of all types, shapes, sizes, and abilities can benefit from being physically active. The more you do, the greater the health benefits and the better you'll feel.
- What is physical activity?
- Why is physical activity important?
- How much physical activity is needed?
- How many calories does physical activity use (burn)?
- Tips for increasing physical activity
Before developing messages and materials from scratch, it’s a good idea to first check for existing resources that can be used or adapted to meet the needs of your audience. For a list of ready-made resources currently available from the U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services, see the Resources section.
When you decide to create your own nutrition education materials based on the Dietary Guidelines please consider the following five best practices:
The SuperTracker Nutrition Lesson Plans for High School Students is a series of lesson plans designed to help high school students learn how to build a healthy diet using SuperTracker. Each lesson plan includes learning objectives, detailed instructions, and accompanying resources and handouts.
Posters and other Team Nutrition print materials are available to schools and child care centers that participate in Federal Child Nutrition Programs. All others are welcome to download materials from www.teamnutrition.usda.gov.
MyPlate in Multiple Languages (NEW) — The MyPlate icon is currently available in 20 languages: English, Arabic, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Filipino-Tagalog, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Pashto, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Urdu, and Vietnamese.